Intro to Alzheimer’s: ALZ 101
This class is intended for anyone wanting to learn about Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders. Disease information, diagnosis and treatment, risk and prevention and coping are some of the topics shared. It is a great class to take prior to attending a caregiver support group and provides a good base of disease knowledge.
Offered the 2nd Tuesday of every month in our office from 6 – 7:30 pm. To reserve your spot, call (512) 241-0420 or email [email protected].
Lunch n’ Learn: Using Validation Therapy
Steven Catoe, Positive Approach to Care and Validation Therapy Trainer, will teach the Feil Validation Method. Validation is a way of communicating with and helping disoriented people. It is a practical way of communicating that helps reduce stress, enhance dignity and increase happiness. Validation is built on an empathetic attitude and a holistic view of individuals. When one can “step into the shoes” of another human being and “see through their eyes,” one can step into the world of disoriented people and understand the meaning of their behavior.
Classes are held from 11:30 - 1 pm. There is no cost to attend and lunch is provided. Registration required to [email protected] or call (512) 241-0420 x10.
Dementia Caregiver Workshop
This interactive workshop is designed to empower caregivers with tools, techniques, and knowledge to provide expert care for loved ones with dementia. Based on methods pioneered by dementia care experts Teepa Snow and Naomi Feil and presented by Stephen Catoe, Certified PAC Trainer, and Certified Validation Worker. Free to attend. Breakfast and lunch provided.
To reserve your spot, call (512) 241-0420 x10 or email [email protected]
"Normal Aging/Not Normal Aging"
- What is normal aging? What changes should I look for? How do I react?
- How do you interact with someone with dementia?
Positive Physical Approach & Hand Under Hand
- Learn how to do activities with the person you care for so they feel productive and valued.
- Recognize and address unmet emotional and physical needs
Communication Skills: Using Validation
- Learn a method of communicating with disoriented older adults that are built on an empathetic attitude and a holistic view of individuals that helps reduce stress, enhance dignity, and increase happiness.
Caregiver Education Series
New Series TBA
Need tips on how to care for someone with Alzheimer's or related dementia? Join Stephen Catoe, Certified PAC Trainer and Certified Validation Worker in a small group setting to explore caregiving techniques and issues. Offered in a four-part format, we welcome you to come to all or pick and choose what pertains to you.
To reserve your spot, call (512) 241-0420 or email [email protected]
Request a Speaker
Need a speaker for your organization or group to talk about our services, disease information, caregiving issues and more? Contact us ([email protected]) to get something scheduled. We strive to fill every request, regardless of the topic or location.
Training for Professionals
- Law Enforcement Training - Educates personnel on Alzheimer’s and best practices for interacting with patients. Continuing education credits included at no cost. To request a presentation, contact [email protected]