Events, Classes and Conferences
Click on the headings below to expand and view all of our current offerings.
November 29, 2022
This year, we invite you to join us on November 29 for the worldwide giving movement called GivingTuesday. GivingTuesday is an annual global day of giving that takes place the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. This special day inspires people across more than 150 countries to engage, volunteer, or donate to the causes they care about most.
At Alzheimer's Texas, we believe that giving back to the local community helps serve caregivers and family members for those with Alzheimer's Disease and related dementias. Our work relies on the generosity and passion of the people in our community who take action for good by donating and volunteering with us. Save the date for GivingTuesday to support Central Texas nonprofits like ours.
Due to COVID-19 regulations, classes are now virtual offerings
Clinical social worker, Joan Asseff, LCSW-S, will facilitate each Caregiver Conversations meeting, including relevant discussion questions to help attendees share experiences, barriers, strategies, and much more. Please register below for these supportive, solution-focused conversations about caring for their loved ones living with dementia. Registration space is limited, so register today for our next session on Tuesday, January 31st, at 1:30 PM.
All About ALZ with Professor Joan Asseff, LCSW-S
Join us for monthly informational meetings led by Joan Asseff, LCSW-S.
View the full "All About ALZ" presentation series on our YouTube channel. Or, explore individual topics from recent meetings below:
- Effectively Coping with Alzheimer's Mood and Behavioral Symptoms: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Living with Pandemic Stress: Tools for Dementia Caregivers: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Transitioning Out of Community-Based Respite Care: When and How: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Navigating a Short-Term Stay in a Skilled Nursing Facility: Key Strategies for Caregivers: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Cultivating Joy and Resilience During the Holidays: Tips for Caregivers: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Advance Care Planning 101: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Coping with Anticipatory Grief: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Selecting the Right Level of Care: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Utilizing Home Health Services: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Deciding When It's Time for Hospice or Palliative Care: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Using Validation and Reminiscence to Support People Living with Dementia: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Practicing Mindfulness - Strategies for Dementia Caregivers: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Talking to Family Members and Friends About a Dementia Diagnosis: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Benefits of Horticultural Therapy for People Living with Dementia: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Benefits of Exercise for People Living with Dementia: Video and Slides (PDF)
If you have questions or would like to be informed about upcoming meeting dates, please contact [email protected].
Request a Speaker
Need a speaker for your organization or group to talk about our services, disease information, caregiving issues and more? Contact us ([email protected]) to get something scheduled. We strive to fill every request, regardless of the topic or location.
Training for Professionals
- Law Enforcement Training - Educates personnel on Alzheimer’s and best practices for interacting with patients. Continuing education credits included at no cost. To request a presentation, contact [email protected]
31st Annual Travis Co. Alzheimer's TX Walk
Join us for the 30th Annual Travis County Walk this Spring:
(Date to be announced)
What's Raised Here, Stays Here! 100% local!!
Alzheimer's Texas Walks are the only Alzheimer's walk fundraisers where 100% of the funds raised stay in Texas.
With your support, we are able to raise awareness about Alzheimer's and related disorders, support families currently facing the disease, and honor those we have lost.
Here's a look back in time at selected past events... Thank you for supporting Alzheimer's Texas mission through the years!
This event has passed. February 14th, 2022 @ noon, Four Seasons Hotel Austin
Alzheimer's Texas Board of Directors and Event Co-Chairs Laura Beuerlein and Sheri Krause invited the community to the Hidden Heroes Caregiving Awards Luncheon honoring DK Reynolds, Community Caregiver of the Year.
If you want to honor DK and support Texas Alzheimer's, consider making a donation here.
Alzheimer's Night at the Dell Diamond
This event has passed.
Each Summer Alzheimer's Texas partners with the Round Rock Express through the Chasco Community Partnership to spread awareness of Alzheimer's disease. At this selected game Alzheimer's Texas will also receive $5 for each infield ticket and $3 for each lawn ticket purchased through our link. Be sure to come early and watch the pre-game interview about Alzheimer's disease and how we help the community! Stop by the Chasco Community Partnership booth by Home Plate to grab information on services and programs.