Events, Classes and Conferences
Click on the headings below to expand and view all of our current offerings.
Join us for the kick-off event: FOOD TRUCK FESTIVAL on Thursday, July 27th from 12:00 – 2:00 pm in the Preston courtyard.
Your participation and support are essential, and the best part is 100% of the funds raised stay local! Sign-up to fundraise today! Once you complete the sign-up form, you will recieve an email with the link to your personalized fundriasing page. If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected] or call (512) 241-0420.
Thank you St. James members for a successful 2023 walk/run March 25, 2023 - join the congregation at worship Sunday, July 30 for the blessing and check presentation
March 6-7, 2024
This year, we invite you to join us on March 6-7 for the biggest giving event in Central Texas, Amplify Austin Day. On Amplify Austin Day, you can make an impact on our collective community with a gift of $5 or more.
At Alzheimer's Texas, our mission is to eliminate this disease and to enhance the care, and support for individuals, their families, and their caregivers. Our work relies on the generosity and passion of the people in our community who take action for good by donating and volunteering with us. Save the date for Amplify Austin Day to support Central Texas nonprofits like ours. You can make your donation now at AmplifyATX.org."
Due to COVID-19 regulations, classes are now virtual offerings
Clinical social worker, Joan Asseff, LCSW-S, will facilitate each Caregiver Conversations meeting, including relevant discussion questions to help attendees share experiences, barriers, strategies, and much more. Please register below for these supportive, solution-focused conversations about caring for their loved ones living with dementia. Registration space is limited, so register today for our next session on Tuesday, September 19th at 1:30 PM here, and register for the Thursday, September 28th at 1:30 PM here.
All About ALZ with Professor Joan Asseff, LCSW-S
Join us for monthly informational meetings led by Joan Asseff, LCSW-S.
View the full "All About ALZ" presentation series on our YouTube channel. Or, explore individual topics from recent meetings below:
- Effectively Coping with Alzheimer's Mood and Behavioral Symptoms: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Living with Pandemic Stress: Tools for Dementia Caregivers: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Transitioning Out of Community-Based Respite Care: When and How: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Navigating a Short-Term Stay in a Skilled Nursing Facility: Key Strategies for Caregivers: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Cultivating Joy and Resilience During the Holidays: Tips for Caregivers: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Advance Care Planning 101: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Coping with Anticipatory Grief: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Selecting the Right Level of Care: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Utilizing Home Health Services: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Deciding When It's Time for Hospice or Palliative Care: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Using Validation and Reminiscence to Support People Living with Dementia: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Practicing Mindfulness - Strategies for Dementia Caregivers: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Talking to Family Members and Friends About a Dementia Diagnosis: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Benefits of Horticultural Therapy for People Living with Dementia: Video and Slides (PDF)
- Benefits of Exercise for People Living with Dementia: Video and Slides (PDF)
If you have questions or would like to be informed about upcoming meeting dates, please contact [email protected].
Training for Professionals
- Law Enforcement Training - Educates personnel on Alzheimer’s and best practices for interacting with patients. Continuing education credits included at no cost. To request a presentation, contact [email protected]
Stay tuned for information about upcoming Alzheimer's Texas Walks!
Here's a look back in time at selected past events... Thank you for supporting Alzheimer's Texas mission through the years!
This event has passed. Saturday, March 25th, 2023
In Texas, over 380,000 people 65 and older have Alzheimer's disease. The Missions 5K & 1K Run & Walk is a community event and all proceeds benefit Alzheimer's Texas. 100% of the proceeds stay locally here in Central Texas.
Thanks for joining us at the16th Annual Missions 5K Run | Walk for Alzheimer's sponsored by St. James Missionary Baptist Church!
St. James Missionary Baptist Church
The 16th Annual Missions 5K Run Walk for Alzheimer's presented by HEB on March 25, 2023, boasts a great course packed with incentives.
- Customized Dri-Fit T-Shirts
- Customized Finisher Medals
- Customized BIBS
- Individual Runner Awards (Male and Female)
- Age Division Placement Medal Awards (Male and Female)
- USA Track & Field Certified Course
- All Participants are Chip Timed
St. James Missionary Baptist Church provides placement medals for age divisions up to 70+ (male and female), Elite Runner (Fastest Time), Elite Male Runner, Elite Female Runner, and Masters (female and male).
This event has passed. February 14th, 2022 @ noon, Four Seasons Hotel Austin
Alzheimer's Texas Board of Directors and Event Co-Chairs Laura Beuerlein and Sheri Krause invited the community to the Hidden Heroes Caregiving Awards Luncheon honoring DK Reynolds, Community Caregiver of the Year.
If you want to honor DK and support Texas Alzheimer's, consider making a donation here.
Alzheimer's Night at the Dell Diamond
This event has passed.
Each Summer Alzheimer's Texas partners with the Round Rock Express through the Chasco Community Partnership to spread awareness of Alzheimer's disease. At this selected game Alzheimer's Texas will also receive $5 for each infield ticket and $3 for each lawn ticket purchased through our link. Be sure to come early and watch the pre-game interview about Alzheimer's disease and how we help the community! Stop by the Chasco Community Partnership booth by Home Plate to grab information on services and programs.